As I look at a sampling of our recent Sunday worship bulletins, how often that back page mirrors our church life together. On any given week, we might see:
- an invitation to share /participate in worship through music or ushering;
-opportunities for Outreach by bringing winter clothing, serving at local soup kitchen, volunteering on trips to Downeast Maine or Mississippi;
- news of upcoming brass band concert co-sponsored with a neighboring congregation;
- signup list to join others for dinner together, breaking bread and sharing conversation;
- word of church school children craft and artistic creations on display;
- notice of a blood drive and my encouragement to donate with me as a partial response to the tragedies in Las Vegas
- the need for volunteers to assist with a church mailing.
It has been said that you can judge a person by looking at their bookshelves or their checkbooks. I believe you can also discern the health and energy of a church by looking at the back of the Sunday bulletin.